Fishery Assessment Officer - UK or Ireland - A537
De Lacy Executive has an excellent opportunity for a Fishery Assessment Officer to join our client's fisheries team on a permanent basis. Conducting audits against Fisheries Standards (including MSC, RFM and IFFO), the Fisheries Assessor will be required to plan and conduct professional audits in accordance with company procedures to enable delivery of assessment and services that meet customer requirements.
You will be expected to carry out assessments of applicant fisheries against the standard and accreditation requirements. As travel is key component of the role, you will need to hold a valid driving license and be prepared to travel locally and internationally as and when required.
The successful candidate will need to be customer focused with a high attention to detail, as well as being able to work on their own initiative and also within a team environment. A high level of communication skill, both written and verbal, is essential, and a flexible approach to working hours will be needed.
- To conduct in depth analysis of survey and stock assessment activities/reports, ecosystem dynamics and fisheries effects.
- Analysis of the overall legal and regulatory management framework, bycatch avoidance methods and gear modifications, and observer and enforcement activities of commercial fisheries.
- Lead a team of professionals with expertise in various disciplines of fisheries assessment and management.
- Apply various fish stock assessment techniques and approaches to fishery management.
- Preparation of certification reports for fisheries under assessment.
- Education/Professional Qualifications & Experience Required:
- Ideally qualified to PhD or degree level in an appropriate fisheries, mathematical or biological discipline, ideally with 5 years + experience in professional fisheries stock assessment or other relevant discipline.
- Related experience and technical ability in fish biology, gear technology, fisheries-ecosystem interactions and legal frameworks for fisheries management will be advantageous.
- Leadership and management of teams working in the area of fishery science.
- A knowledge and understanding of international certification programmes would be an advantage.
- Experience and knowledge in the derivation and use of reference point and proxies in fisheries management (e.g. MSY, Fmsy, SSBcurr, MSST, OFL etc.)
- Proven and applied experience with mainstream stock assessment software such as AD Model Builder or other and statistical packages such as R, Primer or other.
- It is desirable for the candidate to have a sound knowledge and understanding of experimental survey designs (e.g. trawl, longline), biological sampling, large database analysis, age/size/sex structured assessment methods, or length/catch survey analysis, risk assessment methods and other models.
Location: Candidates can either be based in Ireland at our Clients Fisheries centre of excellence or home-based in the UK
A competitive remuneration package will be on offer to the successful candidate
To apply for this new career opportunity please e-mail your CV and covering letter (preferably in Word) to firstname.lastname@example.org and for more information please call Amanda Latham on Office: 01885 483440, DDI: 01885 485524 or Mobile: 07730 218934
Please be assured that all contact will be treated in complete confidence.
De Lacy Executive is the agricultural recruitment specialist in the Agri-Business and Land-based Business Sectors and was established in 2000. We are experienced practical and supply trade agriculturalists who have developed an agricultural recruitment practice based on high ethical standards - we are approved members of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation, which oversees the UK's recruitment industry (REC Membership Number: 00082047).
This job has now closed