A marketing assistant provides support to marketing executives and teams within a company. They help to organise events and exhibits by setting up the booths, talk and engage with exhibit visitors, get visitors to enter draws, sign up for promotions and make sales. A marketing assistant is typically an entry level position, which is great to get your foot into the marketing industry. A marketing assistant should have strong multi-tasking skills as you will be working to support several different projects on a regular basis. As a marketing assistant, there will be lots of travelling to exhibits and trade shows, campaigns and more! As marketing is a very diverse industry, you will be able to work in a variety of fields of marketing - from banking to automotive to the medical industry. This allows candidates to select an industry they enjoy working in. Successful candidates typically have lots of energy, take initiative, contribute ideas and are go getters!
Marketing Assistant Duties
- Providing support to the marketing manager and team
- Assisting in the development of marketing materials
- writing print content and promotional materials
- supporting set up for events, booking locations, and ordering marketing materials
- maintaining documentation and databases
- developing unique content for websites
- manage travel arrangements for marketing team
- Data entry and organisation
- Scheduling meetings and conferences
- Collecting market research
- Creating press releases
- Editing content
- Reviewing marketing campaign results
- Food and beverage manufacturers
- Consultant firms
- Public and private sector
- Marketing firms
- Any company with a marketing department
Required Education and Training
Since the marketing assistant position is an entry level position, having a degree in marketing, business, statistics, and / or business administration can prove to be beneficial. If working in the agricultural marketing field, it is key to take courses related to agriculture as well. This helps to build an understanding of the industry, and apply marketing tactics strategically. It is important to take courses in the related industry to help strengthen your candidacy.
Key Skills and Qualities
- IT skills
- Ability to express designs verbally as well as visually
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Teamwork capabilities
- Adaptable to change and working with a diverse set of projects
- Multi-tasking and time management skills
The average salary for a marketing assistant in the United Kingdom is approximately Â£18,238 annually.
This is usually a stepping stone to move into a more senior position. Other positions this can lead to are event management, marketing director, marketing manager, account manager, marketing communications manager and several more.