Register with us today to receive the latest jobs direct to your inbox. Upload your CV and we will tailor our job matching service to your requirements
Please use the boxes below to search our list of current jobs:
Maintenance engineers seek to achieve optimum equipment performance through effective procedures and proper maintenance. This is becoming a more important role due to the increasing dependence on machines and systems. Maintenance engineers can increase the reliability of equipment, making it more readily available for those who need it. They are often challenged with doing this at the most minimal cost possible. Maintenance engineers should have a good understanding of statistics and logistics. Depending on the area they work in, they will need a solid knowledge base regarding certain types of machinery and equipment. Generally speaking, fabrication and welding can be valuable assets for any candidate. This position can also branch off into other positions such as a building maintenance engineer, or engineer facilities maintenance technician.
Maintenance Engineers Duties
The duties for maintenance engineers can vary depending on the area they work in. Below are a few generic examples.
- Examination of recurring machinery failures
- Design and implement optimum maintenance structure
- Equipment repair
- Calculate estimated cost for spare parts
- Evaluate needed equipment replacements
- Project management
- Understanding what tools are needed for the proper maintenance of each equipment piece
- Reviewing and reporting any potential safety hazards related to equipment maintenance
- Management of staff, budgets, and financial records
- Feed companies
- Construction companies
- Manufacturing companies
- Food production companies
Required Education and Training
Graduates looking to enter this occupation should have a degree in engineering for manufacturing, industrial, electrical, or mechanical. Employers will also consider applicants who have a higher national diploma, or an apprenticeship in a related field. It can be beneficial to go through for your CEng status to prove your commitment to the industry. In order to achieve this status, an engineering degree or a technology degree with a doctorate or master's degree is needed.
Key Skills and Qualities
Maintenance engineers should have the following skills and qualities:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Effective under pressure
- Strong teamwork and problem solving skills
- Organised and efficient
- Educated on technical terms
The average salary for a maintenance engineer is £29,709. Depending on your degree and experience, a maintenance engineer can make upwards of £40,000.